Sunday, March 6, 2011

Managing validity

The concept of validity has been a lecture or exam topic in at least one class during each of my five semesters in graduate school. I have been asked to understand the validity of correlations between the Big Five personality traits with job performance, explain the validity of different tools used in recruiting and staffing and now finally, the validity of my own research. Over this time period, I had become familiar with, and even memorized, various definitions of validity and yet, I was still quite impressed with the explanation that was offered in our textbook. Dr. McMilllan provided an all of a sudden more relevant understanding for me, perhaps only partly because I knew that it was a concept worth 6% of our research proposal grade. On page 144, Dr. McMillan advises that validity is a “judgment of the appropriateness of a measure for the specific inferences or decisions that result from the scores generated by the measure.” For some reason, this explanation was much more about the “big picture of validity” than the other technical definitions I had learned previously. For me now, validity is as much about what I do or decide as a result of my findings as it is about how accurate the tools are that I use or the relationships that are observed. So as I develop this research aimed at observing the impact of merit pay incentives on teacher’s organizational citizenship behaviors, I want to carefully protect the instrument, the subjects, the treatment and the environment so that I am able to present inferences and suggest actions that are altogether appropriate and sound.

Although I am still searching for the best measure of organizational citizenship behaviors, I can foresee and will manage the threats to validity that the instrument itself can present. For instance, I know already that I cannot use a tool “off the shelf” that measures organizational citizenship behaviors (OCB) generally but instead, I require a measure that has been adjusted for the school setting. Luckily, there is a measurement model that has been developed for use with teachers but it includes additional scales that may not be relevant to the OCB discussion. So if I do make changes to this tool, the validity of the edited measure can only be confirmed if I reanalyze it’s “fit” to the theoretical model and to any other potentially valid measures.

In this study, I propose to measure and compare the levels of OCB exhibited by teachers who receive performance pay incentives to those who receive just a standard scheduled salary. In that the incentive compensation provided to the teachers is the “treatment”, I do not anticipate that the control group of teachers who receive only straight salary will inadvertently be “treated”. I do however need to stay extremely wary that both the control and the experimental group may be receiving a “treatment” via their environments, i.e. their departments, buildings, districts and communities, that impact their OCB levels. In this study then, the dependent variable is more at risk of being compromised by extraneous events, timelines and settings than the independent variable.

I sense that the greatest risk to validity comes in the course of selecting and maintaining study’s subjects themselves. As we all know, people are strange and generally act weirdly, especially when it comes to professional motivations and behaviors. That said, as much as I attempt to control for natural and cultural characteristics that affect OCB, I will undoubtedly fail to identify groups of subjects that are absolutely equal in their predispositions. Working in my favor though, previous studies of OCB have shown that individual characteristics like personality have limited associations with OCB and so it has been suggested that OCB is a result of cognitive and rational judgments and not emotional ones. If it were the reverse, I would need to even more carefully control for subject affectivity.

The effect of time and the announcement of the study itself on my subjects is another obvious threat to the validity of my study. Since it is not practical to announce the study and collect all the necessary data at one time, I can presume that my presence and the notice of the study will operate as an intervention in and of itself. The observation of OCB may already be compromised by changes in teacher’s actions in between the time the study is announced and when data is collected. As I finalize and summarize my literature review, I intend to keep my eye open for discussions about how this specific threat to validity can be minimized. I imagine it is a threat not only for my study but most others out there as well.

Even as I manage these threats to validity through careful design of the measure, documentation of the environment, and the “proper care and feeding” of my subjects, data analysis may still yield results that prevent any meaningful inferences or recommendations from being drawn. Although that would be very unfortunate, as Dr. McMillan would have us understand the concept of validity, recognition that a decision or inference should not be drawn from the study may still be a valid conclusion.

2 comments:

  1. Thought of you while reading around the web-take a look at this blog when you get a minute or two: http://hrtests.blogspot.com/2009/12/validity-elusive-unitary-concept.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your discussion of treatment effects is solid; I do wonder whether there are teachers who feel a treatment effect simply by NOT receiving differential compensation. I only posit that since many folks now know (and talk) about merit-based compensation (and merit-based penalties!). What do you think? Off base?

    I agree that selection effects are the major nightmare--those who go to schools with a merit system might well be different...it's like comparing the teachers in public and private schools...there is some kind of selection effect that needs to be controlled for to see the *effect* of an intervention...unless you can think of a cool way to design the study so that choice of a location to teach is part of the study--but that's probably a bigger study, further down the road.
    You're showing proper care and feeding of your study (!) and I would foresee that your conclusions would be valid. :)

    ReplyDelete