Thursday, September 30, 2010

Does Active Inquiry always work? Perhaps... so Go With the Flow!

Although not pointed at the experience that I reflected about on 9/24, I found reassurance in the additional discussion about Active Inquiry in Monday's class. I was definitely approaching that conversation in too formulaic a way. I was also trying to hurry the process and so I find Schein's reminders about timing on pp. 48-49 to be very helpful. Principal #7 which reminds us to wait until the client is accessible must apply to the emotional availability of the client as well. There is data in the emotion that the consultant can use but the client needs to process that same data or the goal to let them solve their own problem will be difficult to attain.

This leads back to Principle #6 and one of the other topics we debated on Monday - Go With the Flow. I heard Dr. Carter pose the question to us whether we felt that Block's approach was too linear to support a "go with the flow" principle. Most of us agreed but there was also discussion about how the linear, step by step guide was very helpful for us novice and not yet flawless consultants.

I also found plenty of opportunity for "flow" in the first several of Block's ground rules for consulting on pp. 67-68. Granted, this flow is couched in a list of RULES! I see suggestions and reminders for improving the dynamic (def: relating to energy or objects in motion) interaction between consultant and client:

Enter freely.
Ensure consideration from/for both sides - "skin in the game".
Don't ask for something that the other doesn't have to give.
You can't contract for a change in feelings, only for a change in behaviors.
and the best of all, cue the Rolling Stones...
You can't always get what you want!

As I prepare to meet our client for the first time, I'll be more than tempted to use multiple checklists and cheat sheets. I must also remember to go with the flow and to be authentic about my goals: to help, to practice and to learn.

2 comments:

  1. It is tempting to use Block’s approach as a step-by-step inventory, checking of each task as though it is a list of chores. I find it frustrating when the client skips over one of my linear steps and gets things out of sequence. We are meeting our client this Friday, and I too need to be reminded about going with the flow. I also see where the value of the partner in this project will be huge. As partners, each person may offer observations about the flow and redirect as needed.

    Going with the flow requires great discipline. It is about being totally present in listening and observing. Sometimes I think that my years of being in the corporate world have exhausted these skills. In corporations, many times deadlines are created and then projects are backed into them. There’s a culture of speed and delivery that supersedes planning and due-diligence. I’ve been at too many meetings where the leaders says, “…we’re building this plane as we fly it..” It’s overwhelming to be totally present via listening and observing when I’m frantically trying to find my parachute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your points are good reminders as we embark on our first meeting with the potential clients, Rachel! It is too easy to get stuck in the checklists, allowing them to dictate the steps and movements. It reminds me of "Dancing with the Stars" in which everyone must learn to balance technique with passion. Frankly, I feel that technique can be learned but passion must be found and if it's buried too deep, it takes a long time to dig it out. So, let's help each other balance our technique with passion on Friday and as we move forward in our consulting project!

    ReplyDelete