Monday, April 19, 2010

Common Ground

I love this concept of common ground!

It seems to be at the heart of the Future Search method and it should be at the forefront of our minds when trying to increase the likelihood of successful change. People usually enjoy (and I mean enjoy not just tolerate) more what they create themselves or at least what they help to create. Large group interventions like Future Search allow people to co-define a "common ground" or co-imagine the future state and through this action, assume responsibility for the success of the effort. The "prouds and sorries" has to be especially powerful for the same reason, in that they allow an opportunity for groups and teams to admit that they could have done something different or better - there not many opportunities for this in work-day America!

But is it singularly true that you most enjoy those things that you create yourself?

Perhaps, as much appreciation can come from knowing that the "product" represents the efforts of another human being. For example, I enjoyed the lasagne my dad made the other night much more than I ever enjoy the lasagnes that I make myself. And I don't always think that what my daughters envision as their "perfect birthday party" is practical but I have to appreciate that they have their future in mind! And I should really take into account what they desire when I try to celebrate their life.

That is common ground ... to understand that your idea for change and the future is not always the perfect product but that perfection can come from sharing your ideas and ideals with others and from listening to them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Common ground...yes, an interesting concept indeed. I, too, love it! And these large group interventions really promote the common ground, or the wisdom that is created when the group comes together in dialog.

    I think the think I appreciate most about these large group interventions like Future Search is the notion that the real intelligence is embedded in group knowledge--knowledge that can be accessed if, with good facilitation, that which resides in the individual can be added to the collective. That old idea that two (or more) heads are better than one is certainly true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, I enjoyed your reflection on common ground. When considering whether we can enjoy an individual creation or a mutual effort, I would say that some of my most memorable and perhaps powerful experiences have been those rarified moments when working in harmony for a common purpose.

    While it is exciting, rewarding, and fulfilling when creating something individually, there is something quite powerful when a common vision, purpose, and actions are experienced in community. Perhaps it’s something innate in the human setup that when we connect with others we are connecting with part of ourselves. Maybe at these times our sense of self expands and we find strength and courage to continue when we find ourselves back in the parts of our lives that we seem to be facing alone.
    ~ jonathan

    ReplyDelete